Digital Rights Management (DRM) is being tossed onto PC games left and right despite a huge back lash on the interwebs. So, how can I describe what DRM is to the common person? Below is a list of what I would compare DRM to.
DRM is like…
- building a house on your own property, but having to call the supplier of the lumber for permission to walk in at the end of the day.
- buying a car but needing permission from the dealer before you let your friend drive it.
- not being able to sell junk on ebay.
- not getting a good review on Amazon.com
- looking at an attractive young woman only to find out she had a sex change at 12.
- having Chris Hanson tell you to have a seat over there.
- being rick rolled while looking for porn.
- legally purchasing a product to support the industry and manufacturer only to be treated like a criminal.
I know there are others, but these were on my mind when I woke up this morning. Please feel free to add your own below.